“A Model for Human Agility” reveals the common characteristics of agile organizations in the Now of Work
RGP surveyed more than 200 C-suite leaders and entry-level employees from 117 companies across all Fortune 1000 industry sectors, and obtained insights through panel discussions, one-on-one interviews, a virtual workshop and quantitative survey over the course of six months. The research shows that organizations with a deep-rooted culture of innovation are more likely to experience 15 percent more benefits and fewer obstacles from large or sudden change events. However, more than 40 percent of executives and employees surveyed indicate that their organizations fail to change until their bottom line is at risk.
“It’s not just the unexpected macro events like the pandemic that create extraordinary organizational challenges – even expected change can create uncertainty,” said RGP CEO
Many Fortune 1000 organizations have already embraced a culture of flexibility, with nearly 60 percent of research participants saying their company supports alternatives to the traditional 9-to-5 workday.
The findings show that organizations with leaders who embrace innovation experience 16 percent fewer obstacles than those who do not. Businesses that actively increase diversity experience (+18 percent) and invest in workplace experience (+12 percent) see more benefits than companies that do not.
“We found that what equips businesses to thrive through disruption mirrors the characteristics that enable humans to survive,” said RGP President and COO
Organizations that are successfully navigating disruption to capitalize on opportunities rather than viewing them as threats share five core characteristics:
- Distributed Leadership moves decisions out of the C-suite, encouraging diverse voices across the organization to co-own the vision and execute it into reality.
- A Culture of Flexibility supports empathetic management and enhances a sense of belonging for your workforce.
- Resilient Operations proactively design opportunities for change to enable rapid response to market changes.
- Nimble Finances support real-time monitoring and reallocation of funding to make proactive investments.
- Continuous Listening enables organizations to amplify their ability to benefit from change by listening to their employees, customers, industry and the world.
“The need to adapt to a changing environment has always been key to both human and business survival, but the velocity of change we face in today’s Now of Work environment is unprecedented,” said
Visit RGP’s Human Agility Research Resource Hub and download the full report by visiting rgp.com/human-agility-research.
RGP (Nasdaq: RGP) is a next gen global human capital firm helping clients match the right professional talent needed to tackle change and transformational initiatives. Disrupting the professional services industry since 1996, RGP is the now of work—attracting the best talent in an increasingly fluid gig-oriented environment.
Visit us at rgp.com.
Copyright © 2021 RGP. All rights reserved. RGP and its logo are trademarks of RGP.